Re: [APD] submitted for your advice

John F. Hess wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A couple months ago, I submitted an email with an URL to some
> pictures of my 55g tank and asked for advice about the plants.
> general consensus was that nutrients were limiting, in particular,
> nitrate, so I upped the CO2 by lowering the pH set point on my set up
> and did more dosing with dry chemicals (Nitrate, phosphate, potassium
> and sulfate) Tom Barr gave me when I set up the tank (he lives in
> town).  The net result was a real good culture system for
> cyanobacter.  I had thick sheets of dark green algae growing on
> plants and the walls and the gravel.  I was kind of busy at the end
> of October, but during Sept and Oct, did water changes and dosing and
> suctioning of the algae, trying to get things "corrected".  Well, I
> grew a good amount of algae, and the plants didn't really perk up and
> I couldn't deal with it.

Something's not right. A mislabeled chemical, a typo in dosages, etc.

> Since I had the day off, I went to Woodland and got CO2.  $46 for 5
> lbs from Airgas.  What do other people pay?

I paid thirty-some dollars because they had to exchange my tank for one
that was pressure tested. Had I just filled up the tank it would have
been about $20. That's at Airgas locally.

> I've done a reasonable amount of surfing and reading and am still not
> sure whether 2 54w T5 bubs is low light or medium (over a 55g tank).

It's towards the lower end, but not quite low. It's a little subjective.

--
"Drilling wells is boring."

Jerry Baker