> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:40:20 -0700
> From: Elaine T <ethompson77 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] 100 gallon tank lighting
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> Hi, all
> I've been quietly lurking for a while but I could use some advice.  I'm
> setting up my first big tank.  A friend is giving me a 5-foot, 100g (60"
> x 18" x 21") tank and I'm not sure about lighting.  The largest tank
> I've run before was a 55g.  I'm planning a heavily planted angelfish
> tank (altums if I can find 'em)  and mostly South American plants like
Hi,

I have a 100g tank,

My set up consists of  8  4' T8s staggered to cover the 5' ft. I have them
in canopy about 8-9" off the tank( room for external growth of plants)
After initial setup costs, I bought a case of 25 T8 bulbs for $120 Cdn (over
3 yrs of lighting).

I am removing 2-4 bulbs and replacing with AH 96W and a 55W CF, to see if I
can get better penetration to the bottom of the tank.

I use Tom Barr's EI (bulk chemicals cost little, NO2, PO4 and trace , after
more than 2 yrs, I replaced the NO2, the others will take probaby another 3
years to empty)

With CO2 the plants, swords, cabomba, and valisneria will grow like mad. The
problem with ground cover plants is that they will get shaded by the those
plants.
I removed my swords as they dominated over a 1/3 of the tank, cut back the
Giant Val to one plant and I pull handfuls of Cabomba out weekly.

Bill Lynn