Re: [APD] 180G budget lighting solution

I don't know what your budget is, but you can use three 150W or 175W metal halide bulbs over a standard 180 gallon tank (72 x 24 x 24). I believe that three 400W bulbs are going to be an overkill since a standard 180G tank is only 24 inches tall. Since one metal halide bulb can cover 2 feet x 2 feet area, you will need three bulbs for 6 feet long tank. You can get relatively inexpensive electronic ballasts on eBay. There are single lamp, dual lamp and triple lamp ballasts. MH bulbs are expensive (about $55 to $60 per bulb), but you will need only three of them and they will last you at least a year and a half.

HTH,

Tomoko