Re: [APD] Scientific, Controlled Study on Effectiveness of Inoculation

I believe Jerry Baker wrote this email section below:
> While searching for something totally unrelated I came across an article
> outlining a study of the effectiveness of adding bacteria to aquariums
> to speed up the nitrification cycle. The analysis of ammonia, nitrites,
> and nitrates were not done with our crummy hobbyist test kits either,
> but with a spectrophotometer. As it turns out, the product tested did
> contain live nitrifying bacteria. It seems to have aided nitrification
> in the experiment somewhat.

But failed to discover if the product lowered bad bacteria, which causes
disease?

This test was on a marine tank.
The seawater nitrifying bacteria species is different from freshwater
nitrifying bacteria.

MarineLand Labs product BIO-Spira uses different bacteria for marine or
freshwater use for example.

I'm amazed that in 2007 we still have quite a few products on the market
which don't contain the correct species of nitrifying bacteria!
ie CYCLE.

I can think of only Stability, BIO-Spira and SafeStart that actually work in
cycling a tank.

I guess you've read:
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bacteria_bottles_do_they_work

--