Re: [APD] LED Technology

One huge advantage of LEDs hasn't been mentioned. It can drive all kinds
of illumination-design changes for planted tanks.

They are tiny low-Voltage and inherently sealed devices. Therefore, the
lamps can safely be submersed, eliminating the pesky air/water
interface, and the scatter loss from aged (frosty) cover glasses. They
are efficient enough that they likely do not need to overheat the tank,
too, but aluminum fins up into the air can get rid of excess heat..

They are so small that an ultra-thin light bar, floating just below the
front surface, can give an entirely new way to see the plants in an
aquarium. [Fluorescents have been used in this way, with severe
limitations. They are fat and clunky. The failure mode for those is so
spectacular that I don't wish to be there when it happens.]

Remember you read it here first. Don't try to patent it, because I just
put it in the public domain (again, in case my earlier notes on this
have been lost in the archives).

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - 805 Valley West Cir., Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net 760 872-3995.

New cell # 760 258-7407

"At Microsoft, quality is job SP1." -- John Hedtke