Re: [APD] Aponogeton crispus - not near extingtion!

>[APD] Aponogeton crispus
>From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
>Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:03:02 -0400 (EDT)
>
> I've heard this plant is extinct in the wild, the days of getting a
bag
> of wild bulbs afor cheap are over.
> Does anybody else have any A. crispus?
Aponogeton crispus are not at all near extinct in the wild!
They grow like weeds in Sri Lanka! In all bigger ponds, also manmade for
water reservoirs! In all sizes form 15 cm to more than 100 cm.
Thousands of thousands of them! Cows eat them, people eat them etc.
- I know from my visit there - I visited more than 20 natural biotopes
and manmade ponds with them!

But it is till right - it is not more possible to get them from Sri
Lanka!
The reason is that the government did make a law and this law said that
export of wild collected plants from the nature of Sri Lanka are not
allowed!
Only cultivated plants!
What happen: The Sri Lanka cultivated plants are too expensive!
But in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesian they cultivate the Aponogeton
crispus in bigger numbers and to a not too high price!
They make them from seeds and from TC (Tissue culture) plants, and let
them grow some months in ponds where they develop bulbs.
So it is where it is possible to get the plants from (all needed)!

Best regards
Claus Christensen
www.tropica.com