Now that you bring this up, me thinks you are correct.  Indeed, calcium was
my enemy when I was actively pursuing the hobby a couple of years ago.

I had a hard time seeing any results with vinegar at all on my calcium
deposits mainly on glass tank covers.  To be honest I never tried it with
the sintered glass disc but perhaps I should have.  I'm just a bit north of
Toronto and the water rates between very hard and very very hard.

I think most people living in an area where the water is hard would be
better off with muriatic acid which can be bought at any hardware shop.
>From what I have read, it also makes a fine preservative for PMDD (So you
won't have to store it in the fridge).  Be careful while handling though.

I bought my system from you Dave BTW a looong time ago.

Moishe

In hard water the usual culprit is CaCO3 deposits, which come off