Re: [APD] OT: Microscopes

Daniel

The items you listed for observation span a large size. To observe fry,
eggs, and algae you would need a low power maybe 25-50x Stereo Microscope,
maybe even a trinocular scope to enable good microphotographs. I use a very
old Spencer American Optical Stereo microscope here at work daily to observe
our product. It has a very long working distance and a very uniformly sharp
field of view. The actual field of view is about 0.300". To your eyes at 25x
it looks like it is about 6" dia.

To view sections of plants, bacteria, etc. you really do need a good
microscope with good effective magnification up to 1000x. You also need oil
immersion capability. You talking about a lot of money new. Here again,
binocular/trinocular is very important for long term comfort when viewing.

We have an old Nikon 1000x stereo microscope that has 25x as the lowest
magnification. It is very limited for viewing large parts because it has
such a small depth of field. It is best for flat thin sections. This one has
through the lens illumination. A very useful feature.

Try to get a copy of "Photography Through the Microscope" published by
Eastman Kodak. ISBN 0-87985-362-X. It has a very good chapter explaining
microscopes and the terminology involved. A really good resource. In 1988 it
cost $20.00 at camera shops. I don't know if it is still available.

Carl Zeiss is an excellent quality microscope, some might say the best, but
be prepared to spend a lot of money. A stereo microscope model 2000 with
photographic/video port is $3577.00 list in the Fisher Scientific catalog.
This is a basic without illuminators and accessory eyepieces. Get the
accessories and your talking another couple thousand.

I bought a used Spencer/AO for a beekeeping club I belonged to in the late
1980's for $250.00. That was a really good price then. Check EBay.

You need good illumination for both. That is very important.

Here is a Photobucket picture of some Utricularia gibba I took with the
Spencer scope using a digital camera without an adapter. I just placed the
lens in direct contact with the eyepiece and focused using the zoom on the
camera. The scale lines are 0.010" apart.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/jerrytheplater/UtriculariagibbaAirbubbleinsideLarg.jpg

For more pictures of the Utricularia see:
http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/viewtopic.php?t=600

Here is a picture taken with the Nikon with a video capture print scanned
into digital format. If you look closely you will see the scan lines in the
print. The subject is of Cladophora. The scale lines are 1 mm apart.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/jerrytheplater/Cladophora1a.jpg

For more pictures of this algae and more pictures:
http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/viewtopic.php?t=145

Hope this helps. Bottom line, you have to spend some big bucks for decent
quality.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ