Re: [APD] cutting crypt roots

Rich

I read in one of my books that the roots will mostly die anyway after
planting, so they should be pruned off. I don't have any of my books handy
as I have lent them all out to a friend that I am helping start a plant
containing aquarium. If I did I would give you the reference.

I did just go to Jan D. Bastmeijer's web site on Cryptocoryne's and found
this quote:

"Potting your Crypts
All the roots of your dug out Crypts will die and will cause problems in
your pots. Shorten the roots to about a few cm, just to give the plant an
anchor. Remove the older leaves to just two or three."

The page link is:
http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/Howto/howto.html

There is a photo there of someone cutting to root ball with a pair of
scissors to trim all of the roots.

I have been cutting all of the roots on my crypts for at least 10 years and
to my recollection, I don't think any of the plants have died. It could be
the damage caused by planting the crypt will cause the roots to die anyway.
The idea is to keep the dead material away from the plant. I don't usually
dig up my plants to look at the roots. It can be a year or more before I dig
up a plant.

When I transplant my cactus, I need to wait 3-5 days before watering to
allow any damaged roots to callus over. Otherwise the plants can rot
starting at the root damaged area. Cactus can die from this. I have killed
some due to watering too soon after transplanting.

In terrestrial potted plants it is often recommended to cut the root ball
vertically up the center to stop the encircling roots from choking the plant
in a few years. The two sides are too be spread out at the bottom of the
hole when planting. I have seen a photo of a dead tree where the tree was
strangled by a root that was growing in a circle around the tree's root
ball. The tree started out as a container grown tree.

Jerry Smith