From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: [APD] Off Topic: LED lights

> Tri-color LEDs (really three diodes on one die) and triple LED arrays to
make "white" light have been around for quite some time, indeed years, even
since before the superbright LEDs came to market -- not to mention that
folks have made their own. They are relatively uncommon because it's cheaper
to use single color LEDs for most applications to which LEDs are put (pilots
lights, alert lights, etc.). Since the red LEDs are usually about twice as
efficient as the red and blue, it's common to mount two reds with each red
and blue LED for a single module. LEDs are not too hard to control
downward -- they just hate to be overdriven.

> Since LEDs are solid state devices encased in epoxy, except for their
electrical leads, they don't mind water, except for their electrical leads.
Thus, it's the connections and attached circuit that must be shielded or
waterproofed for moisture exposure. A common way to do this is with small
electrical devices is to encase the whole package in epoxy -- the capacitive
discharge electronic points on car engines are done this way often as is the
stator coil in Ehiem and most other aquarium pumps. Vendors sometimes encase
an entire package in epoxy to hide the details of the circuit they've used.

> sh

costs...........but