Re: [APD] Aquarium Ebook website

Thanks Stuart. I was actually looking for a printed book. I was wondering if
anyone had used this site.

>It does quite clearly state that adding a credit card number is not required.
>
>So what's the problem? :-)

You have to if you want to buy a book. The payment page says "(Secure!)"
but does not seem to be! I get a warning on my browser..

>BTW.
>A phishing site is one were the displayed url and the actual url are
>different. This site doesn't do this, so it's not a phishing site.

You are right.

>It may just be incompetent over the paypal link. ;-)
>
>Seems a lot to pay for PDF files too...
>
>Why not email the site and ask them about the paypal logo problem?

I did without reply for many days. I did not buy, I registered without
a Credit Card number and then put a book on the cart and went to pay and
found all credit cards and no Paypal. The page said Paypal verified.
That got to me.. I aborted..

>I'm a IT manager.
>There is a scam going about (especially on ebay), selling ebooks where the
>buyer pays and gets a pdf file full of basic information that anyone could
>have picked up for free on the Internet.
>
>Seemingly a person sets up a 'store' and uses the ebook supplier to make
>themself a nice looking web site and the main store sends the buyer the pdf.
>
>After doing a WHOIS on the domain name it appears that the owner of
>eBooksAboutEverything.com is hiding their name and contact details.
>Something a company or trader is not suppose to do...
>But this may just be more incompetence.

I did that too and had the same results. You may be right..

>If worried don't buy. But I would email them and express my concerns.
>If they are genuine and are just incompetent then they will address these
>points.

Lets see if I do hear from them sometime..

I have become a little more suspicious of web sites.. the other day after 2.5
years the local COPS caught a chap who stole my ID while processing HSBC
documents. So far no response from the bank!

Raj