Re: [APD] soil and where to purchase

I've found that pond soil/substrate works great as it is free of any
chemical ferts that could harm fish and its also very cheap too!

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com] On Behalf Of Diana Berberich
Sent: 04 May 2007 10:57
To: APD Post to List
Subject: [APD] soil and where to purchase

Hello Folks:

  I have used many substrates  in my tanks and have found nothing beats
common clean soil. The plants love it.  I use it underneath a layer of
flourite or under regular natural gravel.  What I want to know is can I
buy clean soil at places like Lowes or a Home Depot?  Clean soil would
mean no added fertilizers and certainly not from contaminated or
polluted sources.  Most bagged stuff I find is high in peat or bark or
other organics.  I don't know what to look for.  I am considering trying
a friend's backyard as a source.

  Thanks Diana