[APD] Healthy bogwood

I believe Derek Parr wrote this email section below:
> people and fish live outside all the time....   I don't think it is as
> dangerous as some people fear.  I throw wood and rocks into my tanks
> without doing a thing.  I do get some interesting fungal growth and such
> on the wood for the first few weeks though.   I would make a point of
> not using green wood or non-deciduous wood though.

There has been a lot of talk recently about the beneficial aspects of
bogwood and plant leaves. It adds trace elements, fungi, bacteria and
infusoria that the fish get health boosts from.

(The far east countries have known this for centuries).

If you kill this off by boiling, well you loose most of these.

I've noticed my fish tanks with bogwood always have far less disease in them.

Tom Barr wrote an interesting article about fungi. I expect that before too
long we'll see fungi in a bottle just as we now see bacteria.
:-))

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/