Re: [APD] How much light actually gets down here?-- more info

If it was me, I'd put an AHS 96w with reflector over the tank -- either stripping the existing hood or making one or getting one from AHS. I'd be sure to keep up the nutrients and CO2 to go with the strong lighting.
sh

----- Original Message ----
From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:27:09 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] How much light actually gets down here?-- more info

Thanks for all your input. Since people have discussed
the reflector, I thought I'd let you know that the
fixture is a Coralife single-bulb 65W. Their website
appears to be down. All I can find is that it's
"highly polished" and aluminum. It appears to be
roughly trapezoidal (minus the longest leg, of
course). What does that mean in terms of the loss at
the substrate?

I posed the question because I've (with admittedly
intermittent diligence dictated by my mistress, the
Semester System) been able to get little to grow
successfully that stayed low. I have some green Rotala
and some plain old H. polysperma and java ferns
stealing the hall monitor's lunch, but a C. wendtii
(embarassingly enough) that was gorgeous when it
arrived promptly melted and DIED. It's been months
with no sign of a crypt-like Lazarus moment. I just
stopped up my python sucking its gray flimsy rootball
into oblivion. (I still cannot believe it's possible
to kill wendtiis and that I did it.)

So I guess I'm looking to upgrade to something that
would keep some fore- and midground plants besides
javas happy. I don't aspire to Amano's grandeur; I
don't want to be in TFH; I just want some dwarf sag
(or something comparably undemanding) not to die in
there. Oh, and I think someone said it was 36"L-- it's
30"L. Suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!
Erin in Greensboro, feeling as if all the stereotypes
about English teachers being dumb at math and science
are true. :)