Re: [APD] Disposing of Unwanted Fish

Chris Hotte wrote:
> S. Hieber wrote:
>> If the inflicter or inflictee is not aware?
>>
>> If inflicter, then I'd say sure, I can feel a lot of pain ieven i
>> fyou don't know you just stepped on my dogs.
>>
> Thus cruelty requires intent and/or remorse. Both require awareness of
> a sort. Therefore rocks cannot be cruel. However, they can be used in
> a cruel fashion, as my childhood memories remind me... using a rock to
> smash a fish, which was less cruel than letting it agonize on the
> shore. So, does nobility of action negate cruelty?
>
> I'm so confused.
>
> - C

This brings to mind another fishing memory. My father figure friend of
my mother (*sigh*) took us out on a canoe and camping trip. Inevitably
we fished and I caught a nice 2lb pike. This resulted in Axle holding
the fish before me, with a knife behind it's head with the question
posed, "Do you want this fish?". This was an extreme dichotomy. I wanted
the fish, but I did not want to hurt the fish.  As I contemplated, an
inextricably long time passed as we floated down the creek. Time seemed
to stretch out....

The sharp knife gleamed.
The mournful and fish dripped.

"Yes", I decided.  The fish died. I felt anguish.  Once that passed,
much later in the day we ate it. I felt much better about it with a full
belly.

- C