Re: [APD] Disposing of unwanted fish

Hello one and all.  Its been a very long time since i've submitted and
was almost at the point of cancelling this subscription.  I've just had
a quick skim through all the replies and I don't think this has been
mentioned yet.  In the past, I used to work in a fish laboratory, where
sadly, surplus to requirements fish were PTS'ed (hence "used to work").
Whilst it was one of the least favourite jobs going, because it was
conducted in a university, certain protocols were followed to make the
process as humane as possible.  The trick here is to find a chemical
called "2-phenoxyethanol".  It is available in one popular anti fungal
treatment here in the UK, and maybe in the US (Do fish medications in
the US have to declare the active ingredient?).  It is very similar to
MS-222 (benzocaine) in its effects as being a sedative (hence an
overdose bringing about death) however, more easily dissolves in water.
IIRC, benzocaine powder needs to be dissolved in acetone or alcohol
before use, which may not be great as these chemicals may be sensitive
to the gill membrane.  Which ever method is used, it must be slowly
added drop by drop until the fish loses consciousness.  Once in this
state, larger quantities can be added.  The best bet is to then leave it
for a good while before disposing it.

I've heard of clove oil being used in the past, but have you every
smelled the stuff?  That makes my nose sting!  Wouldn't like to guess
what would happen to a fish's gills.  The CO2 is also a bad idea as
CO2'd water is pretty acidic.  Personally, I find the nicest method is,
and this'll sound a bit sick, to throw the fish on the floor.  It's
quick, can't really be done wrong and works every time.  The addition of
chemicals "feels" less brutal, but it's difficult to watch, and the
addition of chemicals too quickly can make the fish leave the water; not
massively pain free.  Having experienced what I've done in the past, i
think the nicest way of disposing fish is giving them to another shop!
Killing fish because they are surplus is really something I now want to
avoid :o(

Chris

P.S. and just in case you are wondering...  No, I don't eat fish ;o)

Hope this helps in some way.