[APD] Photosynthesis spectra (was Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 44, Issue 20)

Sujoy Banerjee wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:33:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sujoy Banerjee <joyban70 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Spectral Graph for Photosynthesis quantum yield  ?
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> Hi
>
>   Does any body have the generic Spectral Graph for Photosynthesis quantum yield curve  for freshwater aquatic plants .
>
>   Any Links
>
>   Sujoy

I have looked for such for many years, Sujoy. If they are available,
they somehow have eluded me.

Most such published spectra are based entirely on studies with algae,
and don't really reflect the situation with aquatic plants very well.

I have tended to go to the agriculture textbooks and have found that the
spectra derived for emersed plants, like beans, is fairly typical of
what seems to promote my aquatic plant growth.

That said, I have also observed that different aquatic plants seem to
have considerable variation in their action spectra from one species (or
at least genus) to another. This is anecdotal data, only, from personal
observations. I'm not aware of any comprehensive published data. [Case
in point: Watch how Riccia fluitans pearls under "cool white"
fluorescents while most other plants languish from "inadequate" light.]

I hope some of the experts on this digest take pity on our mutual
ignorance and can provide exactly what you requested.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - 805 Valley West Circle, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net  760 937-2276 (cell) 760 872-3995.

"I find it necessary to remind myself firmly that the customs of my own tribe are not the laws of nature."          Robert A Heinlein

http://www.self-gov.org/wspq.html