Re: [APD] New CFL screwin bulb - array

Yep. actually you might even lose a bit more from the sprial, due to  the compressed shape making it harder to shed heat without raising the bulb's overall temperature, which above a certain point, reduce the light output, not to mention, shortening bulb life. Bulb life is usually given based on performance essentially in open air at optimum temperature, something rarely seen in a fixture. some times the manufacuter makes some assumptions for typcial fixture, but it hard to find the data.

sh

----- Original Message ----
From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppycalif at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:45:36 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] New CFL screwin bulb - array

Bruce,
The 100 watt output claim is based on incandescent bulb outputs, not
fluorescent.  So, a 23 watt CFL bulb is the same as a 23 watt T5,
except that it is twisted into a spiral, and that causes you to lose
a lot more of the light due to restrike than you would lose with a
linear T5 bulb.  There is no electric cost savings.

Vaughn