Re: [APD] CO2 and Planted Rift lake tanks

Thanks to all that have responded. I have had suspicions that CO2 could be
used. I completely missed it in reading APD since 2003-2004. Like I said, I
wasn't interested before this.

I have been recently posting at a cichlid site, called NYCichlids.com. The
plant section is very sparse. I have been posting quotes from the APD and
AGA Forum that I have saved. In this thread
http://www.nycichlids.com/viewtopic.php?t=5343 I posted about the
possibilities of CO2 in an African tank. For me it was as if it was the
first time I had seen it. If you read the thread, you will see that I PM'd
Tom Barr and asked him to respond. He did by PM which I posted. I am in
water over my head there. I don't have the CO2 experience.

Liz, thanks for the 1 unit pH drop tip. That is what I need to know. Now,
next question: Does the pH return to the initially buffered pH the tank
starts at when the CO2 goes off at night? Another one: once I get the
initial drop of 1 unit, do I leave the CO2 flowing at the same rate which
took it to the 1 unit drop? Remember, I am a total novice in this territory.
Or do I then control it to the pH, about 7.2 in this case. (Starting at
8.2).

I have Gold ocellatus here at work in a 37. Plants C. usteriana, Hygro
corymbosa and H. polysperma. C. wendtii and C. x willisii in the 10 with
Otocinclus and Parotocinclus, Skunk loaches, Platys in hard water and high
pH. All tanks are 2 watts per gallon or so. I use Seachem Lake Salts and
Tanganyika Buffer. I am in the middle of setting up a 50 and 38 here for my
office which will replace the 37 and 10 currently in there. I have to finish
building the stand and assemble the AH Supply Brite Kits.

Liz, do you have a link to Rex Griggs site where you read about the 1 unit
drop?

Jerry Smith