Re: [APD] DIY tanks

Hi Steve,Funny you should mention that.  I am a structural engineer!  Hence my need to build everything myself...to save $$$ and just to see if I can usually.  I roughly estimated 4000lbs for a 300gal tank setup off the top of my head.  Nice stands there.  I see you also didn't feel the need to line their pockets for the cheaply made commercial stands.  And I want something more Arts&Crafts (Mission) style to match the rest of the woodwork I am doing in the house.  I am replacing all the trim and doors in the place.  The stand glasscages.com sent them is made of plywood with no additional internal supports!  I will try to take some pictures when I go over there tomorrow.  They paid an extra 120 for some kind of glass (Starfire or similar?) for the front and sides that is supposed to be clearer.  I haven't checked on glass prices for a big tank yet.  I was thinking tempered for the bottom with maybe integral overflows.  This would be for a planted tank with rainbows and small!
  tetras, so I can have nice schools of neons or cardinals, etc in it.  Am a little leery about doing it myself, since it will be in my office at my house on bamboo flooring.  Any leaks would be very, very bad!Nick Andrews, PE> > Message: 7> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:47:52 -0500> From: "Steven Pituch" <actwin at pituch_net>> Subject: Re: [APD] DIY tanks> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>> > Hi Nick and All,> For DIY stands see:> http://www.pituch.net/p/Steve's%20Page/Aquarium/hardware/Stand/stand1.html > or just go to> www.pituch.net and drill down.> You are correct about it being easy..... as long as you are a structural > engineer.  The woodworking is simple, but make sure the design is adequate > so somebody doesn't get killed (300 gals is a lot of wawa).  With all the > components it could be 2 tons.> > Steve Pituch, PE > >