[APD] Tanking Cleaning

Hi folks,

I'm looking to convert my eight gallon nano reef back into a freshwater
planted tank but I'm unsure of what to use to clean it before planting
and cycling can begin.  I'd imagine I'd need something a bit stronger
than just freshwater to get all the salt and stuff out of it?  Someone
at work has recommended muriatic acid* but that seems a really acidic
and toxic substance to use.  The nano reef has only been running about
three months now but I think I'm more of a freshwater person, too many
venemous, stinging, biting nasties in a salt tank for me!

Cheers,

Daniel

*Old name for Hydrochloric acid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid