[APD] How much lighting for a 36" 58G planted tank?

Another day another question from me it would seem.

I've pretty much settled on getting a 36" aquarium (due to space
reasons, I'm in a condo), either a 58G (36.5x18.5x21) or a 70G
(36.5x18.5x25) for my new planted tank now I've settled into Vancouver &
Canada a bit.  Stand, Tank, filtration and heating equipment seems
simple enough choices for me but lighting is proving more difficult,
previously in the past I've never had much choice about what lighting
I'm using as my tanks were second hand or bought as complete kits.  This
time is different as I'm building the set-up from separately bought
components and the array of options is truly bewildering my LFS are very
helpful but they are primarily a marine outlet so their idea of enough
lighting seems a bit extreme for a freshwater tank!

So my question is how much lighting is enough for a 36" 58 or 70 gallon
planted tank?  I know this is a bit like asking how long is a bit of
string but bear with me!  Previously I've used a single 18" tube for a
24" tank or two small powercompacts for a 65L, I know I want more light
than that but in my local fish store they have 36" lighting arrays with
4 x 30w or 4 x 39 T5 tubes which seems like allot of lighting for a tank
that size (but I'm no expert on lighting), I want good lighting so I get
good plant growth but I don't want too much lighting that its complete
overkill (the store also has Metal Halide, Power Compact and high power
Marine LED lighting arrays)...

If its any help I'm thinking the tank will be a planted South American
dwarf Cichlid setup with some German Blue Rams, Rummynose Tetras,
Hatchet fish (or maybe Endlers), Pygma Cories and Ottos (or a BN).

Cheers,

Daniel

PS: If its any use this is my LFS lighting catalogue:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/tcategory/lighting.php