From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 9:52:51 AM
Subject: Re: [APD] pearling after water changes Vol 2

S. Hieber wrote:
> That could work if the inhibitors where organic compounds, or more generally, the sticky types that activated carbon adsorbs. But it could control for one more of the factors that could be involved, i.e., carbon-sticky inhibitors if there are such things. No one has idientified any potential inhibitors nor their properties, have they?

Not in aquatic plants that I am aware of, but there are quite a few
well-known and understood allelopathic chemicals in the terrestrial
plant world. Wikipedia has some information
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy), as does the University of
Florida (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS186).

Some potentially interesting papers might include:

Competition and allelopathy in aquatic plant communities
[Botanical Review [BOT. REV.]. Vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 155-210. 1993.]
http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrecord.php?requester=gs&collection=ENV&recid=3594854&q=&uid=789935510&setcookie=yes

Allelopathy of Aquatic Autotrophs
[Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, Volume 22, Numbers 3-4, pp. 313 -
339, May-August 2003]
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(agxk5l55dz2uilvuhmoeq445)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,3,5;journal,20,77;linkingpublicationresults,1:103858,1