Re: [APD] CO2, water changes gas phase Vol1

There's a really easy way to do all of ths without going around the world.
Get some plants established in pots in a 10 gal. tank containing no
substrate except what is in the pots.  Rais the pots so the leaves but not
the substrate are out of the water for 10 minutes then lower them back down
.  That's crude but would be suggestive of  the effect of exposure to
gaseous CO2.  Ideally that would be done under a variety of different mixes
of Argon (or another inert gas) and CO2 with the amount of CO2 in the gas
varying between 0% and 100%.  Oxygen should not be present in the gas mix.

This gets into why I have issues with people claiming they've done
experiments and "proven" different things.  "Proof" and "proven" are rarely
used in the scientific community by anyone unless you are looking at
something like Newton's Laws.  It is also the reason that if you are going
to claim you have proven something you need to publish papers in refereed
journals first.  Poor experimental design, badly drawn conclusions and the
overlooking of variables all happen.  The reason for peer review is to catch
those and other errors.

Interestingly enough, everytime people report seeing effects that have been
"disproven" there is always an assumption that the people did "something
wrong" or "think they know what is happening but don't" rather than looking
and saying that perhaps the "proven truth" wasn't really proven and isn't
really true.

Liz

--
Liz