Re: [APD] Soil in tanks

Back in 1962, While Walstad was probably a child, no one ever "cycled"
tanks, no one did water changes because the "balanced aquarium" was IN, and  most
LFSs sold only bunch plants, a German lady advised me to set up  planted tanks
the following way:
1.   about half inch per 10 gallon capacity of chemical free  dampened
African violet potting soil
2.   2-3 inches of #3 gravel A lot smaller than most available  today)
3.   put in about 2 inches of the water and plant the  plants
4.   fill about halfway with water from an established tank, the  rest of the
way with "aged' water
5.   put in fish after a week

She advised putting the tank where it would get some natural light, and
regulate algae growth by balancing the artificial light by timing (incandescent
in those days) and window light by shading.

I came home with a lace plant, pygmy chain swords, and crypts, among  others.
 Everything grew like crazy.  I only had a little box  filter.  I have done
new tanks this way ever since.  Very low  tech.

Carol   < ' )))><