[APD] Planted tank urban myths - aerial roots

The one response to the aerial roots question that gets posted on forums that never seems right to me is that aerial roots are perfectly normal.  If it is perfectly normal, then why, in my well established (for 3 months) tank, do I never get aerial roots?  To me it is an indicator of stress.  For example, I left my controller off during maintenance on my tank.  My rotala "green" responded by sending out fine roots (interesting that they were finer than normal).  Maybe the plant is trying to move and search out a better location?  Maybe the plant is trying to get nutrients from the water column?  The last one I mention because the other time I notice aerial roots is when I've planted the tops of my rotala green.  It seems like since the gravel roots haven't developed, the stem plant is trying to get nutrients from the water column.