[APD] Rocks & Substrate in MA

> From: "Tom C" <barteri at gmail_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Where to buy rocks and sand in Mass. (Terry Barber)
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> I thought sand from the beach is no good for Freshwater aquariums. Too
> much
> salinity. And Plymouth is like 1.5 hours away from me. So I went with the
> traction sand for $4. Hope it isn't harmful for my tank.

I live in MA too, and have set up many, many classroom tanks as well as
tanks of my own using traction sand.  It works fine.  In our area, it is
typically inert silica sand. And ou don't need to go to Plymouth to get nice
granite rocks.  They grow out of the ground here.<g>  No kidding.  A glacier
once pushed through this whole area, leaves TONS of rounded, mostly granite
rocks around.  Look for old stone walls in the woods.  Most walls in NE were
not built to keep things in (or out) they were built in the process of
clearing rocks out of fields used for crops.  I still pick them out of my
riding ring each spring.<g>  Theres also plenty of rounded rocks in every NE
stream.

Another place to get lots of rock is anywhere they are putting in a new
business or industrial park.  Because NE is so rocky, it's really unlikely
they won't hit rock ledge that needs to be blasted.  If you like rougher
looking rock instead of smooth rock, this is the place to look.

Karen