Re: [APD] T5 lights, opinions on options

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Liz Wilhite wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me why T5 lights are or are not better than power
> compact fluorescents and why there is a move to T5 from people who are
> already running quality PC fixturs such as ones made from AH Supply kits?

PC's are T5's, just bent in half.  T5's might be more efficient than PC's
for long tanks because they can fit over the entire tank.  For instance, a
54w T5 is four feet long, just like a 32w T8.  That could give me very
good coverage on my 75-gallon tank, while a 55w PC has some gaps when I
put two of them side by side, needs a full set of wires on either side or
down the middle of the hood.

I think also that with only half the exposed area, the lights will be
slightly more efficient with the reflectors.

> Yet another option is to take the equipment I have available, purchase an AH
> Supply reflector and build a fixutre that holds T5s. (My assumption here,
> without thinking through all the details, is that those reflectors should
> work just fine with the smaller diameter T5s.)

AH Supply doesn't make a 4' long fixture to reflect a T5 bulb.  I e-mailed
Kim about this a couple weeks ago, and he wrote back that 4' long items
are much more expensive to ship, break easier, etc.  I am considering
buying two of his smaller reflectors and then using them end-to-end as a
T5 reflector.  Or I may buy a T5 reflector elsewhere.  I hate to do that,
because I really like AH Supply's stuff.

   - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com