From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 7:03:33 PM
Subject: [APD] nerd question about "plant" verbage-- to uptake

Hi All,

A friend and I were discussing the word "uptake" as
used as a verb and wondered if it opertated the same
way as "take" (this is what overeducated English
majors are doing while the rest of you are bringing
home the bacon): uptakes, uptook, has/is uptaken.

We looked it up in our regular old not-scientific
dictionaries and only saw "uptake" listed as a noun. I
know I have seen people use uptake as a verb and I was
wondering if this is A)scientific usage, B)incorrect
usage, or C)linguistic evolution at work. Because if
"uptake" only exists legitimately as a noun, would the
verb describing this action be "to take up"?

I know, I know, many of you must be rolling your eyes
or scrolling your screens, but with the list's
penchant for mulling over interesting if not life- or
plant-altering questions, and given we have many
published authors in scientific fields among us, I
thought somebody might know or want to bat it around
some.