From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppycalif at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:41:55 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Hair algae problem

Hi James,
I'm going to guess that you are not using enough CO2.  Measuring the
amount of CO2 in the water is not easy to do accurately.  But, there
is now an easy way to do it and do it accurately.  See http://
www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/do-it-yourself/32100-diy-drop-
checker.html for details.  This allows you to accurately know that
you have whatever ppm of CO2 you want in the water, without
inaccuracies caused by having other sources of alkalinity and acidity
in the water other than CO2.  And, it doesn't involve measuring pH in
an area where a test kit isn't easy to read accurately, or with a
probe which is subject to electric interference and calibration
problems.  If you use this, at least you can eliminate low CO2 as a
possible problem.  I started using this a week ago and it has worked
like a charm!

Vaughn H.