You got lucky.
Many have messed with it for several months with no such
success.

The other agressive alternative method:
Blackout for 3-4 days
Bomb with full dose of Excel.
Do daily 80% water changes and scrub right prior to the massive
water change.

That's worked also.
But many seek lazy ways out or just add a pill of a chemical to
solve all their issues rather than understandiung why they have
it in the first place.

Generally GDA is pretty much not going to terrorize you if
things are kept up on. The nelegect needed is not a lot and it
tends to grow on higher light tanks, low light tanks seldom have
such issues, which is a good reason to use less light in the
first place, everything is easier, but slower.

I've told folks this, George Booth has told folks this for many
years and it falls on death ears.

Less pruning, nice growth, the most wiggle room with dosing etc,
less algae issues.

After the GDA goes through it's cycle, it produces a resting
spore. Then will not grow again.

I'm not precisely certain about the inducement.
I can produce it by neglect for a week or two and a little
uprooting of plants etc. Sunlight also seems to encourage it in
otherwise normal tanks.

Low NO3 likely helps trigger it with a little NH4.
But that's just a guess.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com => Public forums!!