[APD] Laterite Substrate

I have a plant tank which is about 2 months old with lots of fast growing
plants and a laterite substrate. The laterite layer is mixed with sand and
is covered with another 1.5 -2.0" of sand. . The tank is doing well and
I've started to do regular pruning of the plants. I have been pulling up
stem plants and replanting the tops and noticed that when I pull up the
plants it appears that I am getting laterite into the water column. I
tested the water and Fe levels jumped up, but came back down after a few
days.

Is this going to be a problem for my plants ?  Will the substrate be
prematurely depleted of nutrients if I continue pulling up stem plants ?

Henry Hatch

hhatch at sprynet_com