Re: [APD] Caution with lead weights -- Or - Ethyl's Nails

That certainly argues against lead being the culprit if someone loses
a tankful of fish.  I would expect lead poisoning to affect different
fish and species of fish at different rates, so a lead poisoning
problem would be a long drawn out series of fish deaths.  Also, lead
oxides are insoluble in water, and the lead strips I use tend to be
heavily oxidized.  One last comment:  (I know that anecdotal evidence
is not good evidence, but)  I kept several fish, from clown loaches
to SAE to Chinese algae eaters for about 4 years in a tank that had
quite a few lead strips weighting down plants.  There were probably
about a half dozen of those strips in the tank at any one time, since
I tried to remove all of the old ones at every opportunity.  I had no
problems at all with those fish.
If I kept expensive, long lived fish, like Discus or even angel fish,
I would avoid any lead in the tank, but for the very small fish I
keep, which tend to live about 2 years (guppies, for example) I don't
see where there is a problem.  In any case, there is no question in
my mind that avoiding lead in the tank is desirable.  I just don't
believe that people lose a tankful of fish due to lead in the substrate.

Vaughn H.