Re: [APD] Focus

I am one of those who tends to say "why would your waste your
money........", but I don't say that to annoy anyone.  This is an
expensive hobby if  you try to do the high light intensity way of
growing aquatic plants.  Fortunately, there are some ways to make it
less expensive, and some of those ways actually give you better
results.  A good example is AH Supply light kits, which are semi DIY
- you do have to assemble them in a hood.  But, those lights are much
more effective than most commercially available lights priced
anywhere near the AHS kits.
Another example is fertilizers:  Greg Watson has taken on the job of
making inexpensive fertilizers available to us at a price that is
way, way below that of commercial products, and the fertilizers are
at least as good as commercial fertilizers.  No DIY involved.
Still another example is CO2 reactors, for which there are a few easy
to make, using standard hardware store items, very effective
devices.  These are DIY, but few tools are needed, and hardly any
mechanical skill is needed.  The savings are substantial.
I don't care at all if no one wants to use these money saving
options.  But, someone with only a few dollars left to spend on
plants, substrate, and fish surely appreciates knowing that there are
options that will allow them to enjoy the hobby as much as we do.  I
do know that I have greatly appreciated hearing about these options,
and wouldn't be in this hobby without using all of the above options.
So, I hope people will accept it when we get too enthusiastic about
our recommendations for how to save money.  We do mean well.

Vaughn H.