[APD] very fine hair like algae

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this stuff, algae floating mid water all over the tank, (freshwater tropical) individual fine hairs of it about 2 to 4 mm long, but making it look misty because there are so many of them.

Filter wool surrounding the filter intake doesnt seem to be removing them for some reason. Until now it has been very effective. Filter flow is good, recently cleaned filter (Eheim 2322) and hoses etc.

Recently increased illumination from 480 W mercury vapour to 600W metal halide and I think this may have caused the bloom. I have changed back for now but the algae seems to be persisting.

UV filter ? or will it peak and then disappear in its own good time like most algae seems to do ?

Richard