[APD] EI Questions

> Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:25:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Fertilizing the substrate vs the water column
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

> Algae is often due to lack of nutrients, poor plant health,
> limiting the plant growth, lack of plant biomass at the initial
> planting stage and every so often excess NH4.

Hi Tom, Hi All

I'm trying to get my head around how and why EI works, prior to giving it a
go. Tom frequently states the importance of having enough nutrients in the
water, that a deficiency can lead to algae whereas an excess is rarely
harmful. So if I had a small planted tank with water circulating through a
large resevoir, both with a good level of nutrients, the levels should be
stable for longer, yes? How do we reconcile this with the also often quoted
need for a good planting density? What happens if I have just a few plants
in a large volume of water with the recommended nutrient levels?

Could someone please clarify what units are being used in EI when
concentrations are given in ppm. As I understand it, ppm can refer to v/v
w/w w/v or mol/mol.

Thanks
Christine