Re: [APD] long term solution to minor element problems

On 7/27/06, S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

> I urge you to read Diana Walsatd's excellent book, _Ecology of the Planted
> Aquarium_. It discusses the amount of nutrients in dirt and how long they
> will last in an aqaurium.

I dunno.  Here I am paying all that money -- what, $13 in 2 years? -- to
that danged ole Greg Watson to get trace and other stuff.  Well, its not
organic and it's described by all these formulae that scare me
fertilizerless, so I'm thinking that in my copious free time I could do an
internet search for sea weed and do a bit of composting.

Heck, maybe I'll send some to Diana.  She did me a good turn once.  I'd bet
Diana has never used composted sea weed as a substrate.  My only question is
whether sea weed is sea weed or whether I need to worry about what ocean it
comes from, especially in my new biotope tank.

sh

--
Liz
http://pottedliz.home.comcast.net