From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at yahoo_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:47:44 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] actinic light

> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Tank Lighting
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> While actinics are not of any special benefit compared to
> "normal" lights, the wavelengths from from these is quite
> usable by plants. Hovenac has even recommended them for
> aquatic plants, although I'm inclined to think that's going a
> bit too far down down an unecessarily blue road. ;-)
>
> sh

I'd agree with the original response, actinics are of little use
for most aquatic plants.

You can try using the actinics if you wish, looks bad, and grows
the plants bad.

Then you'll know and question those that suggest they are
worthwhile.

Some suggest that you mix them with reg bulbs, but reg bulbs are
cheaper, and grow the plants better and look better.

Even if you get some use out of them as far as plant growth,
they look weird.

You want blue tinted plants?

I had some years ago, the plants where very stunted and spindly
looking, aesthetically they where horrible as well.
so sure, plants can use the light some, but plants look and do
better without them, that is much more the point rather than can
they use the light at all, do they work better or as good as a
normal cool white etc for plants?. No. I've used them a few
times and never saw anything that suggest they are better/at the
same level of other cool whites/plant bulbs, 6500K tri phophor
bulbs etc. Then they do tend to cost more as well.

Folks end up with them and then they ask these questions namely
due to reef lighting left overs that often come with Reef set up
package deals. I would not recommend them for a planted tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com