Re: [APD] DIY reflector

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:39:24 -1000, "Gary"
<doji at hawaii_rr.com> wrote:

>Somewhere I read that shiny white (the pvc) actually reflects light better in the spectra that plants want than Al foil.  Should be a softer light too I would think - not as glarey.

Someone did a statistical study of different reflector
materials for home made reflectors. White won out over
aluminized mylar, aluminum foil, and other reflective
materials. It was a bit surprising to me that a mirror
like reflector material didn't work as well. There was
something about diffusion, bulb placement, etc., in the
study but white made all that less of a concern and
still beat out everything else.

For reasons of heat, though, you might consider white
aluminum gutter material for reflectors. The
reflectivity should be similar. I've seen plastic light
hoods deform after some use, even though they were
lined with a metal reflector.