Re: [APD] Calcium compounds

Charles:

Thanks for including the phosphates. I didn't think of them when I gave the
example. I checked all the phosphates in the CRC Handbook. Even though I use
chemistry in my work, I am not a chemist and really don't know how to
predict which phosphate compound would form when adding a calcium nitrate
solution to a planted tank fertilized with phosphate. I know it has
something to do with Eo values but I still don't understand.

I use Mono potassium phosphate in my EI mix. KH2PO4. I see Calcium
orthophosphate, Mono  in the Handbook: Ca(H2PO4)2-H2O  I suspect this is the
compound which would primarily form as the bulk of the KH2PO2 would
dissociate into K+ and H2PO4- first. It would be followed by the H2PO4-
dissociating into H+ and HPO4-- and so on. Now my head is starting to swim.
The Ca++ would combine with two H2PO4- ions and most of it would precipitate
except for the 1.8 gm/100 cc @ 30 C which dissolves.

Anyway, to complete the Calcium list:

Calcium hypophosphate Ca2P2O6-2H2O   Insoluble
Calcium metaphosphate Ca(PO3)2   Insoluble
Calcium orthophosphate, di- (secondary) Natural brushite CaHPO4-2H2O  0.0316
gm/100 cc @ 38 C
Calcium orthophosphate, mono- (primary) Ca(H2PO4)2-H2O  1.8 gm/100 cc @ 30 C
Calcium orthophosphate, tri- (tertiary) Natural whitlockite  Ca3(PO4)2 0.002
gm/100 cc @ ? C
Calcium pyrophosphate Ca2P2O7  Insoluble
Calcium pyrophosphate, pentahydrate  Ca2P2O7-5H2O  slightly soluble

Jerry Smith