Re: [APD] Setting up 75 gal -- Need Light Advice

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com] On Behalf Of Robert Crawford
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 3:44 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Setting up 75 gal -- Need Light Advice

I've been running a 29 gallon planted tank for about seven years, and
need to move the tank to make way for new carpet. Rather than set up
another 29, I want to make the jump to a bigger tank, and I'm thinking a
75. I know I need to get a new filter, heater, etc, and I've got a
handle on all that, but I'm having difficulty figuring out what to do
about lighting.

Right now I have 2 40W compact flourescents from AH Supply over the 29
-- well towards the high end of recommended light. I'd like to use them
on the new tank, but I suspect they're not enough.

Any recommendations?

My current 75 gallon setup is 4 54W T5HO bulbs.  I recently switched
them out from 4 x 55W CF bulbs.  The intensity is noticeably better.
The bulbs are 4 feet long, so they span the full length of the tank, as
opposed to having two 21 inch bulbs that have to "meet in the middle".
I need CO2 in this setup, otherwise the BBA starts very quickly.