Re: [APD] Setting up 75 gal -- Need Light Advice

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:44:14 -0400 (EDT), "Robert
Crawford" <crawford at kloognome_com> wrote:

>Right now I have 2 40W compact flourescents from AH Supply over the 29 --
>well towards the high end of recommended light. I'd like to use them on
>the new tank, but I suspect they're not enough.

I'm sure the answer depends on the type of plants you
have or will have, and whether you are a CO2 aquarist
or not.

I have a 100 gallon planted tank (fancy goldfish in it)
and am using two 4 ft. shop lights suspended not very
far above the water for a total of 160 watts. It is
more than adequate for what we are doing, and the
plants are growing pretty fast. Since the tank is 6 ft.
long, I have the shop light fixtures staggered to cover
the ends with light.

Your 75 gallon will probably be 48 inches long and
would work well with shop lights. Someone in our
aquatic plant society used stainless steel shop lights
over his 75 gallon and it has plenty of light. I don't
know if he is overdriving the bulbs or not for sure,
but I don't think he is.

Donald