[APD] Temporary fix found but another problem . . .

I put some Teflon tape around the down tube, inserted
it into the hole in the filter, and it is holding OK.
Poor fit, though, out of the box.

Is there a way to cut down on the turbulence in the
filter without using a speed reduction circuit on the
motor? I have some smaller aquariums with smaller fish
and would like to cut the turbulence way down.

I'm thinking of an improved output tube with many more
holes to distribute the flow over a larger area. I'm
not too concerned at this time about the anti-siphon
hole since it isn't contributing very much to the large
flow of water out of the filter.

If you have tried anything that has worked in the past,
I would like hearing about it.

Don