Re: [APD] hydroponics lights ?

>> Anyone tried it ? Any other recommendations  ? (I am in the UK).
>
> I have used metal halide bulbs with great results.  I also lost several
> gallons a day to evaporation and my electric bill went through the roof.
> I was running 2 X 250W MH bulbs on a 55 gallon.
>
> The mercury and sodium lights don't have as nice a spectrum as MH, but
> as Tom Barr will tell you, plants are not that picky about spectrum.  I
> just don't think they look as good.
>
> -Nick

I suppose in this day and age I should be thinking about a more energy
efficient light system, it has crossed my mind that an array of 3x3 (9) 30W
energy saving bulbs should be able to provide the light at about half the
power consumption. Then I could change the number of daylight bulbs in the
array to vary the hue towards the blue spectrum v yellow. It would be
cheaper to make and to run saving a couple of kW/h a day and I haven't heard
of anyone else trying this yet and it might be fun to pioneer !

Metal halide looks good though because of the refraction effect in the
water, wavelets and ripples making patterns and so on. An array of energy
savers would not give you that. I know what you mean about evaporation as
mercury vapour also produces a lot of heat and I have a RO system set up so
I can top up as much as needed.

I also invested in a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids for any who havent
heard of these) so I can tell exactly how concentrated the water is getting.
When I first got the meter after 5 years running the tank the reading was
quite high, over 500, tap water is about 450 but I setup the tank 50/50 with
RO which has a TDS of 10 so it was probably at 250 ish to start with, but a
few 100% RO water changes soon fixed that. The rummy nose tetras seemed to
appreciate it!

Richard