Re: [APD] Sudden death of all the healthy yamato shrimp

First, sorry to see you lose the shrimp adn fish. The shrimp are often the
first to go when there is a problem with oxygen and/or CO2. I do wonder
about your water, I have had a large fish kill and lost many shrimp after
large water changes when the local water levels were high and the well the
community uses is deep, which means that the oxygen level in the water was
lower than normal. Now, in the winter, rainy season, which when that occurs
here, I keep the water level a bit low at first to increase surface
agitation (as Liz suggested) and I keep the CO2 off for the first day after
a water change. The wintertime water probably has higher than normal CO2
levels at higher pressure as well as lower oxygen levels. So, increase
surface agitation as was suggested. You might also do water changes early in
the day, to allow the plants to add oxygen to the tank before lights-out.

If this is a problem again, you can add a capful of household H2O2 to the
tank, if the fish suddenly act normal, then oxygen is the problem.

And, as someone already pointed out, you had too many fish in the tank. If
we don't thin out a tank, Mother Nature often will step in and do it for us.
In my case, I had already decided that with my tank of discus fully grown, I
needed to find a new home for about 5 of the 18 fish. Unfortunately I waited
too long and in a similar accident I lost 5 of the biggest discus as well as
2 expensive wood shrimp and a bunch of Amano shrimp.

Ann V