[APD] Problems typing--possible solution

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:26:00 -0400, Phaylanx at webtv_net
(Phaylanx At Chess) wrote:

>to all
>the english critics----if you had my problems you might not  try-----i
>type with one finger----can not atch the screen when i type--i have a
>palsey that inhibits my accurate typing

I don't know if this would be helpful, but there are
some voice recognition programs out there that do a
good enough job that they would save more typing than
the few mistakes they make.

IBM's ViaVoice and Dragon's Naturally Speaking come to
mind, and I believe some versions of Windows now come
with what used to be Learnout and Hauspie's version of
their product.

I've used Naturally Speaking and ViaVoice at times and
like it, but I type pretty quickly also, so I usually
just type rather than load the program, plug in my
headset, and use the voice recognition program.

One word of caution if you find this interesting--while
these programs never misspell, but they do
mis-recognize words and type another word at times.
That word may be too instead of two.

Dragon's program looks at the context and weeds out
many of these words, figuring out which one you
probably meant. You can correct with your voice also.

Let me know if this sounds interesting. I might have an
older copy (legitimate copy, not a pirated disc) laying
around, but it might take me quite a while to find it.

They take some work training them initially, but they
do work.