Re: [APD] moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae

> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:13:04 -0700
> From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
> Subject: Re: [APD] moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>

> Estimating oxygen levels by plant growth only tells you that the water
> is likely saturated towards the latter half of the day, and that only if
> you are getting pearling.

Yes, but it's strange that the Red-Eyes gasp even during pearling, which I do
get by mid-afternoon (helped along by semi-diffused sunlight). And that none of
the other fish gasp, night or day.

Keep in mind that the oxygen requirements of a
> fish increase as temperature increases, and levels of dissolves oxygen
> likewise decrease.

Too bad I can't afford some sort of cooling system....

Each species will have a different intersection of
> the two requirements where requirements exceed the environment's ability
> to supply it. That being said, I do not know of any special oxygen
> requirements of Red-Eye Tetras, and I believe they encounter such
> temperatures in the wild anyway.

That's what I thought also. It seems strange that the Red-Eyes would be a limit
case here. Perhaps I'll try bubbling air in at night and see if that helps.

Thanks very much -- I appreciate your advice, Jerry!

all the best,

Ryan