The hubris of this list quite often, actually far too often, simply amazes
me. Why would anyone add algaecide/fungicide to an opaque surface? Also why
would most of you just assume that the information about the toxicity of
garden hoses is false without doing even a modicum of research?
The real problem is that garden hoses are most often made of PVC, and it's
the "C" that can in fact cause a problem sometimes. The "C" stands for
Chloride, which for our purposes in merely another name for chlorine.
Chlorine can and does leach from new hoses, and can in fact cause problems.
Three conditions must exist before that happens though;
1. Water is left standing in the hose
2. That water has not been flushed out of the hose
3. The hose needs to be new for it to leach chlorine

Obviously all 3 conditions are seldom met, but make no mistake, it can and
does happen. Added to the chlorine problem, PVC hoses are often also treated
with heavy metals which are used to make the hose more pliable.

PVC's production begins with chlorine and lots of energy. Something like
40%of the chlorine that is produced worldwide goes into making PVC plastic.
This chlorine is combined with ethylene from petroleum to form ethylene
dichloride, which in turn is reacted to make vinyl chloride monomer, the
building blocks for the plastic resin. Depending on the final use, various
toxic additives such as plasticizers or heavy metals are used to soften or
stabilize the material. Dioxins are produced at many points in the making of
PVC, including the production of the chlorine from salt, making the plastic
itself, and incineration of production wastes. Additional dioxins are
produced if the PVC itself burns, either during garbage incineration or in
the event of a structure or automobile fire. EPA studies have shown that
incineration of garbage and medical waste are two of the largest sources of
dioxins. PVC and other chlorine-containing materials are PVCPU, PS, ABS,
PCPETPE, PPB oil based polymers.

The entire article can be found here;
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Qx_BgKOh7EkJ:www.watoxics.org/content/pd
f/vinyl.pdf+PVC+Hose+%2B+toxicity&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7