Re: [APD] softened water success story?

Problem is that these links all say the same thing...........and not any
real infomation.  Doesn't change my conclusion.

However you did peak my interest.   The compound used to make garden hose is
most always a flexible PVC.

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) -
Thermoplastic compounds formed by polymerization or copolymerization of
vinyl or vinylidene halides and vinyl esters. They are strong, with good
abrasion resistance and superior aging properties than that of rubber.

The "bad" chemical in question here is a plasticizer - more specifically a
Pthalate Ester

Plasticizer - A chemical agent added to a resin to increase its workability
during processing, and to impart flexibility and other desired properties to
the finished product; usually of an organic ester having a high boiling
point.

1. PVC is used for food grade hose.
2.  There are tons of studies done on Pthalate Esters and their safety -
there seems to be some hysteria about them too but here is what I can find

Phthalate exposures indicated by the CDC measurements were far below the
safety levels set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Other
studies have shown that phthalates are readily broken down by biological
organisms such as fish and mammals. For people this occurs within 12 to 24
hours of entry. Thus, phthalates do not pose a bioaccumulative concern, nor
do they biomagnify in food chains. Based on the science behind these
conclusions, last year, both the EPA Office of Solid Waste and the State of
Washington decided not to include phthalates on their lists of persistent,
bioaccumulative and toxic materials.

Review followed review. Former Surgeon General C. Everett Koop chaired a
scientific panel in 1999, which concluded that "DINP in toys is not harmful
for children in the normal use of these toys." The CPSC Panel recommended
further study to increase the already substantial body of knowledge and
reduce uncertainty and convened the Chronic Hazard Advisory Panel (CHAP) to
do so.
read more at: www.pthalates.org

I looked at many other information sources too (this one was just more
complete) studies seem to find no problems.

By the way - did you know your food is wrapped in PVC?  That your kids toys
are made of PVC?  That the odor of new car smell has a PVC component? Your
soda pop comes in a PET bottle (Polyethylene Terephthalate - including
plasticizers)? Your kids milk comes from a PVC bottle?

You are getting more pthalates in your system from this source than from
your garden hose - I really think the fish and plants are ok.   Facts not
hype.

TerryB (chemical engineer)