Re: [APD] Common Names of Algae -and a new Aponogeton

Hello Jerry,

I have a nice little book here called "Freshwater Algae in Australia" by
Entwistle, Sonneman & Lewis, published by Sainty & Associates of Sydney.  It
has Audouinella as present here in Oz, Ankistrodesmus falcatus is listed as
cosmopolitan and occurring in every Australian state.   The authors state
that there are over 3,000 alga here in Oz.   I think they are all in my
plant ponds at various times through the year.

The top Australian aquatic plant botanist based at the Royal Botanic Gardens
in Sydney, Surrey Jacobs has named an Aponogeton Steve Brooks and I picked
up in the Goyder River 2004.   It is called Aponogeton tofus.   The
description is published in "Telopea" Vol 11(2).   There are photos of the
plant on the ANGFA database  http://www.aquagreen.com.au  if anyone wants
higher resolution copies of those photos email off the list and I will send
them to you.   The Aponogeton is very nice in bright light with the leaves
becoming wine red and grows very easily in the aquarium hardly sending up
any floating leaves.

The Goyder River and surrounding area is famous for a very nice red form of
Melanotaenia trifasciata (Banded Rainbowfish) now it has a very nice
aponogeton from there as well.

Cheers
Dave Wilson
http://www.aquagreen.com.au